Saturday, October 20, 2007

More food pictures from the past

...photographs, still looking back...
Alas, it seems I lost oh so many of my food photographs from my tenure at Sans Souci. It could be that I remain unconcerned. Really there were only a few lost I wish I had. The rehashing of the past in this venue will not last much longer. It serves as foundation. And it gives me something fun to do as I enjoy the morning coffee. The food photographs posted so far are a few years old. Interestingly, I don't even remember some of the components. I do not bring a sensibility of permanence, or longevity, to my culinary creations. You eat your food and it's gone. It lives as art for so short a time. I find that I work best when I concentrate on each idea and plate mostly as a new entity, unencumbered by predecessors successes and failures, which is not to say building and improving on past ideas is foreign or shunned--not at all. However, it is with a sense of urgency and uniqueness that I approach each dish. All of this is to say it's no surprise to me that I don't remember everything about these foods. Take the first photograph, for example: I can see the components well enough to identify them. I recognize it as a style of food I once did. However, the fish really looks like sturgeon to me, yet that pairing of sturgeon and beurre blanc seems wrong. I would have been much more likely to pair something like halibut. But who knows? Enough rambling. Time for the pictures.

...


...
yawn, old school
...
These are duck confit ravioli in a butternut broth.
...
sea bass with bourride and basil oil (avec aioli crouton)